MT. VERNON — W. Russell Withers, Jr., 77, of Mt. Vernon, died Friday, January 24, 2014, in Mt. Vernon.
He was born December 10, 1936, in Cape Girardeau, Mo., the son of W.R. Withers, Sr., and Ruth H. Withers.
Mr. Withers is survived by his daughter, Dana R. Withers, of Mt. Vernon; step-son David Lister, of Mt Vernon; step-daughter Diana Lister, of Nashville, Tenn., and, Celeste Hunt, of Beaufort, SC; sister, Lindi W. Janes, of Cape Girardeau, Mo.; brothers, Richard Kent Withers, of Cape Girardeau, Mo., James K. Withers and Wife Pam Withers, Keokuk Iowa, William J. Withers and Wife Victoria Withers, Theodore, Ala.
He was preceded in death by his father, W. R. Withers, Sr., and mother, Ruth H. Withers.
He founded Withers Broadcasting Companies.
Funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday, January 28, 2014, at Hughey Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon. Interment will follow in Oakwood Cemetery in Mt. Vernon.
Visitation will be held from 5 until 8 p.m. Monday, January 27, 2014, at the funeral home.
For those who wish, memorials may be given to the W. Russell Withers, Jr. Scholarship Fund at Southern Illinois University and will be accepted at the funeral home or may be mailed to Hughey Funeral Home, P.O. Box 721, Mount Vernon, Illinois 62864.
Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Hughey Funeral Home where you may call
(618) 242-3348 or visit hugheyfuneralhome1969.com for further information and to send condolences.
Mr. Withers was a member of:
- Mt. Vernon, Illinois Masonic Lodge 31;
- Scottish Rites/Valley of Southern Illinois in Belleville, IL
- Jefferson County Shrine Club, Mt Vernon IL
- Shrine International – AINAD
- AINAD Shrine Center, East St. Louis, IL
- Board Member Mt. Vernon Convention and Visitors Bureau;
- Board Member and one of the founders of Crimestoppers of Jefferson Co.;
- Chairman of Mt. Vernon Airport Authority;
- Chairman of Illinois Public Airport Association;
- Board member Mt. Vernon Industrial Development Commission;
- Mt. Vernon Citizen of the Year-1992;
- National Association of Broadcasters:
- Board Member of the Radio Board representing Illinois
- Member of Executive Committee & Co-Chairman of the National Association Broadcasters Political Action Committee (NABPAC). National Trustee NABPAC for the past 20 years.
- NABPAC leading fundraiser and recipient of the Wally Jorgensen Award for the past 11 years
- Member of the Congressional Relations Committee
- Radio Board Chairman, National Association of Broadcasting;
- Board Member, Library of American Broadcasting;
- 2003 American Broadcast Pioneer Award winners by The Broadcasters Foundation;
- Board Member of the Associated Press Broadcast Board;
- Board Member of SAGA Communications since May 2011, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI;