• Details released in Centralia fatal shooting

    by  • March 30, 2013 • News

    According to Capt. Richard Densmore, a detective with the Centralia Police Department, 21-year-old Chelsea Wilkin was fatally shot Saturday by her 55-year-old father Charlie Wilkin, in the home they shared in the 1300 block of Short Street.

    Charles Wilkin

    Charles Wilkin

    Densmore says the father is being held in the Marion County Jail and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with his daughter’s death by a single shot to the chest from a 9 mm pistol.

    He notes the charge is not a formal charge and is pending a decision by Marion County State’s Attorney Matt Wilzbach.

    According to police reports, Charlie Wilkin said he and his daughter were having a “mild discussion” that included talking about her boyfriend and a trip they were going to take to Dupo, with him telling her there would be bad weather.

    The discussion reportedly continued, and the two began talking about picking up after eachother around the house. Densmore says the father reported he had enough and started heading toward the bathroom, telling¬† his daughter, “I’ll take care of this,”¬† grabbing the pistol off a shelf and pointing it at her.

    According to Densmore, in his statement Charlie Wilkins said he was “just trying to get a point across” when he pointed the gun at his daughter.

    The report indicates the father said he and Chelsea were “just playing around” and it was something he had done in the past. Wilkin told officers he had two magazines for the gun and didn’t believe either were in the gun, so he expected to hear a “click” when he pulled the trigger.

    “He says he even asked her if he shot her,” commented Densmore, adding the father then put the gun away, called 9-1-1 and started trying to do chest compressions on her. The 9-1-1 call was made at approximately 12:16 p.m.

    Chelsea Wilkin was taken to St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. According to Marion County Coroner Troy Cannon, an autopsy is scheduled for Monday as part of the investigation.

    Densmore says while there were other guns in the home, he is confident the weapon involved was the 9 mm pistol. He noted that Wilkin’s firearms owners identification (FOID) card expired in 2008 and that alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the incident.