• Armed man barricades himself in Irvington

    by  • May 29, 2013 • News

    According to Irvington police, at approximately 7:45 Tuesday night, officers responded to a residence on East  Huron Street, where a 58-year-old man armed with a handgun ultimately barricaded himself in a bedroom.

    Police reports say officers responded to a residence in the 600 block of East Huron Street on third party report of a  police activitydomestic disturbance. Upon their arrival, the male subject, who had been drinking, barricaded himself in the master bedroom of the residence and began threatening suicide.

    Sergeant Nicholas Heath of the Irvington Police Department engaged in conversation with the subject who for approximately an hour and half when he was able to convince him to come out of the bedroom with no further incident.

    After the subject and the handgun were secured, he was transported by officers to St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital for an evaluation. Due to the severity and threats that the subject was making, the decision was made to have other personnel respond and assist with the situation.

    Officers from the Washington County Sheriff’s Department, Okawville Police, and Illinois State Police were contacted to help contain the situation. The State Police also had a negotiator and Tactical Response Team that were on the way to help, but they did not arrive before the situation was secure.

    The Irvington Fire Department and Washington County EMS were also contacted to help block roads and set up a stage-in area in case of any injuries.

    “This is a very unfortunate incident that occurred. I could not have been any happier with the end result though. No one got hurt, and that was our goal from the beginning,” said Heath. “Fortunately we cross train with different agencies and our fire department and I think that is the main reason this event went as well as it did. We had a lot of different departments and could have had several logistical problems, but because of the professionalism of each and every person that was here, this incident went as well as it could have.”

    At this time,the subject has not been charged in relation to Tuesday night’s incident. According to police, he has a valid FOID card and the gun was legal. The domestic disturbance was found only to be a verbal argument and no one got hurt.

    “My main goal is that the he gets the help that he needs. He has been going through a stressful time in his life, and I wish him only the best for the future.” said Heath, noting that the name of the subject is not going to be released. “This is embarrassing enough for him and his family and I do not want add anymore stress to that.”