A trial date is set in southwestern Illinois for a man accused of having held a teenager captive in his house for more than three years, fathering her child.
Twenty-seven-year-old Steven Johnson is to go on trial Nov. 18 in St. Clair County on charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and being a felon in possession of a firearm. He has pleaded not guilty.
Authorities have said the teenager, then 19, told police in August of last year that she had just managed to escape Johnson’s house, where she claimed she had been held against her will since April 2009.
Johnson was arrested after a swat team stormed his home.
Johnson’s relatives have disputed the allegations, telling media outlets she was always free to leave the house.